Spoken For $5,250,000 List Price - Single Family Home
A spectacularly sumptuous, historic, and immaculately maintained 5+ bedroom, 3-bath, 2-half bath estate in the heart of Central Piedmont, 117 Sheridan Avenue is an address like none other. Marrying nearly half an acre of exquisitely manicured English-style formal gardens with an astonishingly elegant English-style home, this phenomenal property’s timeless luxury, illustrious refinement, and unsurpassed sophistication are without equal.
Built in 1912 and beautifully designed by Julia Morgan’s protégée William Hays, 117 Sheridan is an architecture lover’s dream. Exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail suffuse each and every room. The home’s current owners, one of whom is a longtime interior designer, have made a series of superb upgrades over their 43 years here. Their reverence and care for the home imbue every one of its spaces, both indoors and out, with irrepressible warmth and flawless elegance.
This home’s common areas are tailor-made for entertaining; countless parties, weddings, and holiday celebrations have taken place within these hallowed walls. On the main level, you will find, in addition to the spacious formal living and dining rooms, an intimate sitting room, family room, breakfast nook, private office-library, two powder rooms, luxuriously appointed chef’s kitchen, and solarium. The magnificent and enchanting solarium, built by the current owners from William Hays’s original plans, runs the entire length of the living room, opening directly onto the vast yard and formal gardens. Everywhere you look, dazzling details and awe-inspiring craftsmanship abound.
Upstairs, you will find the bedroom level and the splendidly vast and airy finished attic. The bedroom level offers five bedrooms and two remodeled full baths. The owner’s suite boasts a Carrara marble bathroom and dual walk-in closets, and each bedroom offers its own special touches; from fabric-covered walls to window seats to a built-in sound system, every space brims with its own unique and charming personality. The enormous, high-ceilinged, easily accessed attic level, used for several 75-person sit-down dinners and the owners’ daughter’s 16th birthday tea dance, offers endless tantalizing recreational possibilities.
117 Sheridan is a property with peerless interior grandeur and breathtaking outdoor spaces, formerly featured in House & Garden Magazine. The spectacular gardens, framed by redwoods and tall hedges, are a rarity even for Piedmont, and represent the product of over forty years of loving care and planning. Originally designed in the early twentieth century by Thomas Church, the gardens retain their original pebble paths and pond, with the spacious deck, gazebo, fountain, and garden sheds more recent additions. The vast wide-open deck and lawns are perfect children’s play areas, making this space ideal for all ages. The garden pays loving homage to classic English gardens; with different “rooms”, or distinct garden spaces within the larger garden, there is something special for everybody. Roses, Hornbeam trees, manicured hedges, and other ornamental flora abound.
Though it feels a world apart, this extraordinary estate is amazingly convenient and centrally located. Just off Highland Avenue, near Piedmont’s best amenities, schools and parks, everything you need is at your fingertips. With its own private park-like formal gardens, luxurious common areas perfect for entertaining, and exquisitely cared-for and remodeled interior spaces, 117 Sheridan is ready for you to call your own.
Highlights at a Glance:
• Extraordinary 5+BD/5BA William Hays-designed estate in the heart of Central Piedmont, marrying nearly half an acre of English-style formal gardens with an elegant English-style home
• 5,756 square-foot home on an exquisitely landscaped 20,280 square-foot lot (not including basement spaces)
• Centrally located just off Highland Avenue, near Piedmont’s best amenities, schools, and parks
• William Hays, the home’s architect, was a professor at UC Berkeley and an acolyte of Julia Morgan
• Garden has been featured in Condé Nast House & Garden magazine and on the Piedmont Garden tour
• Dazzling details and awe-inspiring craftsmanship throughout, including box-beamed ceilings, a hand-carved limestone fireplace, a gold-leafed decorative carved frieze adorning the stove, ornate ornamental ceiling and fireplace moldings, crown moldings, bay and diamond-pane leaded-glass windows, and built-in shelves and window seats
• Spacious formal living and dining rooms, an intimate sitting room, family room, breakfast nook, private office-library, two powder rooms, luxuriously appointed chef’s kitchen, and solarium on the main level
• Solarium was built by the current owners from William Hays’s original plans, runs the entire length of the living room, and opens directly onto the vast yard and formal gardens
• Pristine and completely renovated chef’s kitchen with wide chef’s island, crystalline counters, four built-in sub-zero freezers, two built-in sub-zero refrigerators, two built-in sub-zero drink drawers, eight-burner Viking gas range with dual convection ovens, a toaster cabinet, glass-doored lighted display shelves, trash compactor, laundry-chute access, thermador wine refrigerator, wet bar, built-in Viking microwave, and built-in Miele espresso machine, cup warmer, and warming drawer
• Dining room seats 32 at four round tables or 14 at large rectangular table
• Family room with built-in TV cabinet and garage access
• Bedroom level has five bedrooms and two remodeled full baths
• Owner’s suite boasts floor-to-ceiling mirrors, matching walk-in closets, and a Carrara marble-lined bathroom with dual sinks, heated towel warmer, recessed ceiling fan, and level-in shower with water heads on three sides
• Views of the Bay Bridge and Downtown Oakland
• Each bedroom has its own special touches, from fabric-covered walls to window seats to a built-in sound system
• Vast, high-ceilinged, easily accessed attic level, used for several 75-person sit-down dinners and the owners’ daughter’s 16th birthday tea dance, offers cedar-lined storage and endless tantalizing recreational possibilities
• Plantation shutters, automatic blinds, and comfort shades throughout
• Recessed lighting throughout
• Painted gumwood paneling throughout
• Several gas and wood-burning fireplaces throughout
• Laundry chute goes from bedroom level to basement and also has kitchen access
• Full finished +/-1600 square-foot basement with laundry area, laundry chute, and several storage rooms and areas
• Fully updated electrical
• 3-car attached garage with internal access
• Original owner, Frank Baum, has his initials on all the downspouts
• Spectacular English-style formal manicured gardens, framed by redwoods and tall hedges, were originally designed in the early twentieth century by Thomas Church and retain their original pebble paths and pond
• Garden’s spacious deck, gazebo, fountain, and garden sheds were added within past 40 years
• Garden features roses, Hornbeam trees, manicured hedges, and other ornamental flora
• Garden water comes from separate water system because lot is a double lot
• Home is currently with third owner
• Built in 1912
117 Sheridan is a phenomenal address in one of California’s most coveted locations, brimming with elegance and architectural wonders. We warmly invite you to come explore this spectacular home.
See more at: 117-Sheridan